Amazon has told Fulfilment by Amazon (FBA) users that the service will now be limited to essential items due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Those third-party sellers on the online marketplace which use Amazon’s shipping service to deliver goods will no longer be able to send them to Amazon’s fulfilment centres unless they fit into six categories deemed essential.
These categories are baby products, health & household, beauty & personal care, grocery, industrial & scientific and pet supplies. Amazon said inaccurately categorising products could result in account suspension.
Implicitly no longer supported are entertainment products such as books, films, music, sports, games as well as fashion.
The measures will last until 5 April 2020 at the earliest, with shipments that had been created before the announcement going ahead as normal.
Amazon said the new rules were designed to prioritise these essential items so that Amazon can “more quickly receive, restock, and deliver these products to customers.” The company reported seeing increased demand during the outbreak, although it did not specify how many additional orders it was seeing.
A spokesperson said in an emailed statement: “We understand this is a change for our selling partners and appreciate their understanding as we temporarily prioritise these products for customers.”
Amazon recently announced that it is planning to hire 100,000 additional workers to support the increased demand during the pandemic.
For FBA sellers impacted by this decision, Horizon International can provide a contingency option, managing inventory, eFulfilment and despatch of orders on your behalf.
THERE ARE MANY REASONS TO CHOOSE HORIZON AS YOUR E-FULFILMENT PARTNER
- Horizon can manage your entire supply chain from overseas factory door through to final-mile delivery, removing unnecessary links and associated costs.
- Horizon’s cost structure is transparent, straightforward and competitive, with no “hidden surprises.”
- Our enterprise supply chain system hiCloud can integrate directly with your ERP or web cart, transmitting orders straight to our warehouse within minutes of payment.
- Your inbound overseas stock orders will be transferred immediately upon arrival at UK Port or Airport to our warehouse and put away into stock.
- hiCloud provides you with “live” visibility of your inventory, sales orders and your returns.
- Need to withdraw some sample stock? No problem! Simply call your Account Manager, and they will arrange to deliver directly to you.
- Horizon can provide tailored e-fulfilment services, including using your own branded packaging, adding marketing inserts to orders and applying personalised, finishing touches and much more.
For further information about how Horizon International can support you to manage and fulfil your Amazon orders, please contact us to schedule a call –